Personal Accounts in databases
MEDLINE with full-text account is called My EBSCOhost
PubMed personal account is called MyNCBI
Here is a list of Pros and Cons:
1. Pro - It's mobile. You can access it from on and off campus.
2. Pro - On the run? You can save information and look at it later.
3. Pro - Organize your research.
4. Con - You have to remember your username and password in order to use it!
5. Con - You have to remember to sign in.
What is a saved search, journal alert or a search alert?
A saved search or a search alert is a specific search that is saved within a database that is run on a routine basis. The results are sent to the user periodically with new information that has been published.
A journal alert is an email that is sent to you when new issues of a particular journal are published.
Setting up a journal alert. What's new in the journal Heart & Lung? You can set up a search alert to have the table of contents sent directly to your email with all the newly published articles per month for this journal.
Saving a search alert on a particular topic. I'm studying COPD and would like to know when new articles are published in this subject. You can set up a search alert for this specific search and you will be sent an email when new articles are available.